Monday, October 29, 2012

Farewell from the Refugee!

So, the journey ended a bit sooner than I expected. As much as I imagine you all guessed correctly. , Guild Wars 2 knocked me off my feet and has since kept me enthralled in a way I can't remember since... I dunno, Dynasty Warriors. Which if you know me personally, you'll know that is quite the feet. Not even World of Warcraft or City of Heroes made this big of an impact.

It was one of those feelings that even though I wanted to write for this blog, the joy of playing Guild Wars 2 was greater than exercising my creative outlet here. So for a month and a half now ( I think ), I've been playing Guild Wars 2 in my spare time every chance I get. It's good - very good. I won't take the time to write a review because so many others have already done so. My personal favorite is this:


He says pretty much everything I feel. And the World versus World versus World issues he mentions later have since been fixed. It's outstanding how great this game is. And one of the best parts is the total and complete lack of a subscription fee. Unlike City of Heroes or Champions Online, I don't feel guilt if I don't sign into GW2 each day. So not only is the game genuinely fun, but I don't feel any sort of obligation to log in. I log in because I want to. That's key.

RP.. I've found it lacking. I'll admit that. It's the dating scene sort that haunted Pocket D on Virtue, which isn't something I do. There are probably groups like Titan Industries on my GW2 unofficial RP server, but I've yet to find them - just gotta dig a little deeper. So far, I've just been soaking up the amazing game mechanics. RP can come later.

Lastly, I'm still keeping my Champions sub. In a pinch, Champions Online is the only spiritual successor to City of Heroes. It's the only place I can roll a space marine or an elven wizard and not have to switch games. So, much like City.. if I get a killer character concept, I run to Champions. If I want to fly around a modern City and smash costumes goons - Champions is still king.

But for an extremely well crafted game with killer PvP and amazing lore with mind numblingly awesome gameplay to boot? Guild Wars 2 kills everything else in it's way.

It's that good, and where I'll be for a long time to come.

Thanks for those that kept up with the blog. If you decide to look me up on Guild Wars 2, I'm on the Tarnished Coast (US) server. Looking forward to seeing you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment